Aquaman is coming and he’s about to take DC fandom to depths they’ve never been before. With San Diego Comic-Con right around the corner along with the first trailer for the film, set visit reports have surfaced giving us a boatload of new information.
First up, the first official poster that was released today with the caption #HomeIsCalling with Jason Momoa looking all bad-ass surrounded by sharks and killer whales.
Now before we begin, there are some tidbits that verge on spoiler territory, so beware before diving in. The set report comes from the folk over at JoBlo who have even more information from their visit:
- The film is an origin story that will see Arthur Curry/Aquaman at four different stages of his life with his present-day self-leading the main focus of the story, while the younger versions are told in flashback.
- The film draws heavily from Geoff Johns new 52 run of the Aquaman comic
- The vibe of the film is said to be an epic adventure film in the vein of Raiders of the Lost Ark mixed with Romancing The Stone.
- 2/3 of the movie take place underwater.
- Director James Wan pursued making Aquaman after Furious 7 and wanted to turn all of the elements of Aquaman that people typically made fun o and turn it on its ear and scare the shit out of audiences.
- Wan wanted to make a swashbuckling, fun, quest movie with Aquaman
- The film will see Arthur and Mera on a journey to find King Atlan’s trident while being pursued by both Orm and Black Manta. Arthur must prove his worth to find the trident, which would ultimately make him king of Atlantis.
- The “trident” that Aquaman carried in Justice League is actually a Quindent and belonged to his mother, Queen Atlaana.
- Wan credits Zack Snyder for casting Momoa as Aquaman, calling it a “stroke of genius” as no one would ever make fun of Aquaman again with him in the role.
- Every actor the producers went after in the film were their first choice, from Patrick Wilson to Nicole Kidman to Temuera Morrison, etc.
- Orm, Aquaman’s half-brother, wants to destroy the surface dwellers, as the Atlanteans blame them for ruining and polluting the oceans. He does this by attacking coastal cities while searching for Atlan’s trident, which would give him the full power he needs to completely wipe them out and take over.
- Orm will be shown to be a brutal villain that will do whatever he must to get the other kingdoms in line with his vision, from threats to executions.
- There is a big battle in the film called The Battle of the Brine, which pits Orm’s army vs. The Fisherman Kingdom in an attempt to subjugate them.
- Black Manta’s origin story will be just like the comics, where he ultimately becomes Aquaman’s arch nemesis.
- Black Manta is being set up to appear in multiple films as such and will serve at the B-villain in this story, while Orm will be the primary antagonist.
- Orm supplies the technology for Black Manta’s costume and weapons, allowing him to track down and attempt to kill Aquaman
- Aquaman’s parents meeting is described as The Little Mermaid; human man meets Atlantean woman, they fall in love and have a child. She ends up having to go back to the water, while the Atlanteans want to kill her for betraying her own kind. She leaves the child with Thomas Curry to raise and keep safe.
- Aquaman grows up feeling like his mom abandoned him and becomes an angry drifter, growing up in Amnesty Bay, Maine with his father
- There’s a flashback scene where Arthur visits the Boston Aquarium on a field trip and is being bullied when he suddenly finds the fish in the aquarium rallying to him. This is where he begins to discover that he can “talk to fish”.
- This prompts Arthur to confront his father about what happened and he reveals that he is part Atlantean and shows him his mother’s quindent, which he eventually takes and uses in Justice League.
- Aquaman is said to have some Game of Thrones like elements at play, seeing as Atlantis is like a monarch with Atlanteans being modeled after ancient Greek/Romans.
- Although Mera appeals to Aquaman to come and help save Atlantis, it takes Orm’s dropping a Tidal Wave on Amnesty Bay and nearly killing his father to draw him into the fight, having finally seen the destruction that his half-brother is capable of.
- Zack Snyder pitched Mera to Amber Heard when casting for Justice League as a “warrior queen” saying that she basically gets a sword and a crown.
- Once in Atlantis, Orm and Arthur will battle in a gladiatorial match in front of an active volcano, as part of their ritualistic combat to declare a victor between the two for the crown of Atlantis.
- An entire Italian villa was built to create a land battle sequence between Aquaman, Mera and Black Manta
- In order to achieve the look of the characters swimming underwater, actors were put on a set of wires and a special rig, with some sequences having up to 10 people at a time conversing and acting together with the rigs attached.
- The Atlanteans have the ability to live underwater and have enhanced physical characteristics, just a notch below Superman in terms of power/invulnerability. However, they can be damaged or killed by their own technology.
- All Seven Kingdoms will be represented in the film: Atlantis, The Trench, Xebel, The Brine, The Fisherman Kingdom, The Missing Kingdom, and an unknown seventh. This is where the whole “Unite the Seven” tagline came from in that very early look at Aquaman (many thought it had to do with uniting the Justice League).
- There won’t be mass carnage in the film, as none of the battles take place in major cities. There are certainly deaths, but not on an epic scale.
- The Atlantean armor and weaponry is very reminiscent of the Elvish armor and weapons from Lord of the Rings, but much more colorful. Additionally, there are underwater guns and varying types of armor for different Atlantean army specialties.
- Atlantean warriors will use various creatures for transport and combat, including sharks, squids and sea horses, which look much more dragon-like in appearance. All of the creatures have some form of armor on them.
- Wan will pay homage to The Creature From The Black Lagoon type films in a sequence that features The Trench monsters attacking a boat on a romantic cruise.
- James Wan has a very different approach and directing style from Zack Snyder, which is something mentioned by everyone that worked on both Justice League and Aquaman. Aquaman is very much Wan’s film.
- Wan says that the journey that Arthur takes in this film will lead to him becoming the Aquaman as we know him.
The hype surrounding Aquaman is getting bigger and bigger and rightly so. James Wan and co have put their heart and soul into this movie and with these set visit reports dropping the Monday before Comic-Con, it has made fans hungry for more.
Let us know in the comments below your thoughts on the set reports.
Following the events of Justice League, Arthur Curry, the reluctant ruler of the underwater kingdom of Atlantis, is caught in a battle between surface dwellers and his own people, who are ready to lash out and invade the surface.
The film stars Jason Momoa (Justice League) as Aquaman; Amber Heard (Magic Mike XXL) as Mera; Willem Dafoe (Spider-Man 2) as Vulko; Temuera Morrison (Green Lantern) as Tom Curry; Dolph Lundgren (The Expendables) as Nereus; Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (The Get Down) as Black Manta; with Patrick Wilson (Watchmen) as Orm/Ocean Master; and Oscar winner Nicole Kidman (Lion) as Atlanna.
Aquaman hits screens December 21, 2018 in the US and December 14, 2018 in the UK.