A Wrinkle In Time helmer Ava DuVernay will direct Warner Bros. big screen adaptation of New Gods according to Variety.
The film is based on DC Comics, comic book series of the same name, and will be part of the DC Extended Universe, with the hopes that it starts a new universe within.
Created by comic book icon Jack Kirby, New Gods first appeared in 1971.
For those not to sure of the comic book property, Variety released a description:
The New Gods are natives of the twin planets of New Genesis and Apokolips. New Genesis is an idyllic planet ruled by the Highfather, while Apokolips is a dystopia filled with machinery and fire pits — ruled by the tyrant Darkseid. New Genesis and Apokolips call themselves gods, living outside of normal time and space in a realm known as the Fourth World.
Steppenwolf who appeared in last year’s Justice League along with Mother Boxes, are part of the New Gods “Fourth World” mythology.
Ava DuVernay said in the past Big Barda, a character from New Gods was her favourite superhero of all time last year.
— Ava DuVernay (@ava) December 27, 2017
With a rich universe of characters to use, DuVernay has a huge sandbox to play in and I can’t wait to see what she does with it.
Warner Bros. have been making some big moves behind the scenes since the shake up earlier this year, and fans are getting excited with recent announcements.
What do you think of the Ava DuVernay joining the DC Extended Universe?
- Exclusive: First Look At D.J Cotrona as Superman in ‘Justice League Mortal’
- Over 150 HD Screencaps From The New ‘Captain Sparkle Fingers’ Sorry, ‘Shazam’ Trailer
- Listen To The Epic Music From The Final ‘Aquaman’ Trailer
- ‘Birds of Prey’: 5 Actresses I Think Could Play ‘Black Canary’ & 5 Who Could Play ‘Huntress’
- ‘Justice League Mortal’ First Look At Batman, The Flash, Aquaman and More