Warner Bros. gave those in attendance at Cinemacon 2018 in Las Vegas on Tuesday night a glimpse of what’s to come from their DC Film slate.
The studio showed footage from Aquaman and Shazam, whilst confirming what time period Wonder Woman 2 is set in.
So let’s begin with the small details and work our way up to the description of the Aquaman footage that was shown.
Wonder Woman 2:
With Kirsten Wiig cast as Cheetah, fans already know who the Amazonian Princess is going up against in the sequel. There was a comic book reel shown along with an interview with director Patty Jenkins, who confirmed Wonder Woman 2 would be set in the 80’s. The sequel would see Diana facing the temptations of the world, whilst facing incredible odds.
Some comic book frames were shown, along with some behind-the-scenes footage, one was Shazam (Zachary Levi) in a toy store playing ‘chopsticks” on a huge floor piano, an obvious reference to Tom Hanks classic film Big. The film’s villain, Doctor Sivana (Mark Strong) was also featured, he threw a few people with unexplained power. Concept art was also shown.
The main focus was on James Wan’s Aquaman, which stars Jason Momoa. With still eight months to go before the film’s release a hesitant Wan, who admitted he wasn’t ready to show footage as the effects weren’t finished.
Here’s a full description of the footage show per JoBlo:
“I can’t believe you’re finally here…”
“There’s so many stories about you…”
– We see Arthur in an Atlantean submersible with Mera, headed toward Atlantis.
“You’ve come all this way to take sides against your own people.” – Orm
– We see glimpses of various Atlantean soldiers, some riding armored sharks and Sea Horses, also armored.
“There are no sides in this war.” – Aquaman
“Welcome to Atlantis…Arthur” – Orm
– We see a flurry of shots of Atlantis. It’s like an underwater Star Wars city, beautifully lit with Atlantean submersibles flying around, as well as more of them on various sea creatures. It’s visually striking and huge in scale.
“My brother has come from the surface to challenge me for the throne.” – Orm
– We see Atlanteans at a coliseum-like location in Atlantis, crowded around for a show. Orm is in the center, wearing his silver armor, including the helmet and carrying a spear. Both Orm and Arthur circle each other in the arena, about to battle. We get some shots of both of them fighting, Orm seeming to have the upper hand.
“Call it whatever you want. I call it an ass whoopin’.” – Aquaman
– We see Aquaman and Orm in each other’s faces. Orm has his helmet off and is rocking longish, white hair, pulled back.
“I solve my problems with my fists. I’m a blunt instrument. I’m damn good at it.” – Aquaman
– We see shots of Aquaman kicking more ass on the submarine, punching a bunch of bad guys. We then see him get under the submarine and push it out of the water.
“You are part of something deeper. Something that will be destroyed unless you help us. Billions will die.” – Mera
There are shots of Arthur and Mera traveling around the world, from sand dunes to Atlantis. There’s a sequence from them in Italy, leaping from rooftop to rooftop, in some sort of chase.
“You have to forget all teachings of the surface world. Go deeper. Uncover your Atlantean instincts.”- Vulko
– We see Willem DaFoe’s Vulko, wearing darkish Atlantean armor and looking very serious in stature.
“Go home, Arthur. You are not going to win this. The war is coming to the surface and I’m brining the wrath of the Seven Seas with me.” – Orm
– At some point we see a man sitting on a throne with a golden TRIDENT (not the Quindent that Aquaman is currently using in both JUSTICE LEAGUE and here). We also get glimpses of various creatures from the Seven Seas, including Goldfish-looking creatures, freaky, monster-like creatures (who are attacking a fishing vessel as Aquaman fights them into the ocean)
– We see a shot of BLACK MANTA walking menacingly towards us in full costume. Costume straight from the comics. Black suit with giant helmet with glowing red eyes. It’s absolutely perfect.
– We see Orm leading his massive army, which includes Atlantean submersibles, riders on various sea creatures, etc. all heading in one direction under the sea, looking like a space armada about to attack. Underwater we see a massive battle taking place and then see one of the oversized creatures move in on an Atlantean soldier and open it’s giant, sharp-toothed mouth and swallow him.
Title Card: AQUAMAN
Aquaman hits screens December 21, 2018, Shazam hits screens April 5, 2019 and Wonder Woman 2 hit screens November 1, 2019.
- Exclusive: First Look At D.J Cotrona as Superman in ‘Justice League Mortal’
- Over 150 HD Screencaps From The New ‘Captain Sparkle Fingers’ Sorry, ‘Shazam’ Trailer
- Listen To The Epic Music From The Final ‘Aquaman’ Trailer
- ‘Birds of Prey’: 5 Actresses I Think Could Play ‘Black Canary’ & 5 Who Could Play ‘Huntress’
- ‘Justice League Mortal’ First Look At Batman, The Flash, Aquaman and More