Ewan McGregor is joining the DC Extended Universe. Let the excitement commence.
Deadline has today confirmed McGregor has joined the cast of Cath Yan’s Birds of Prey film as the villainous Black Mask.
The Star Wars actor will play Gotham City mob boss Roman Sionis aka Black Mask who leads the False Face Society gang.
Sionis has played an important role in Batman’s mythology over the years. He is a former business executive who inherited his parents company and fortune after their suspicious deaths. However, Sionis was a terrible businessman and his company was saved from bankruptcy after a buyout by Wayne Enterprises. Sionis came to hate Bruce Wayne/Batman.
McGregor joins Margot Robbie who reprises her Suicide Squad role of Harley Quinn, Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress and Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya.
Fun fact, McGregor and Winstead are a real life couple. So we should see a fun dynamic between the two on-screen.
Back in September, Variety reporter Justin Kroll heard Warners were looking at Mcgregor and Sharlto Copley (District 9) for the villain role.
Still have Renee Montoya and Cassandra Cain's roles to cast as well as the crime lord up against the team. Hearing names like Sharlto and Ewan McGreggor are actors they like for the role but have only started meeting actors for that part https://t.co/OaVfpTfkyM
— Justin Kroll (@krolljvar) September 26, 2018
Let us know in the comments below your thoughts on McGregor joining the DCEU.
Birds of Prey is set to hit screens February 7, 2020.
- Exclusive: First Look At D.J Cotrona as Superman in ‘Justice League Mortal’
- Over 150 HD Screencaps From The New ‘Captain Sparkle Fingers’ Sorry, ‘Shazam’ Trailer
- ‘Birds of Prey’: 5 Actresses I Think Could Play ‘Black Canary’ & 5 Who Could Play ‘Huntress’
- Exclusive: ’13 Reasons Why’ Star Ross Butler Joins The Cast Of ‘Shazam!’
- ‘Justice League Mortal’ First Look At Batman, The Flash, Aquaman and More