After Will Smith bowed out from playing Deadshot in James Gunn upcoming Suicide Squad film, many asked who would take his place. Whether the role would be recast, or if another character would take the lead.
Now we have our answer as THR reports Idris Elba is in talks to replace Smith as the talented marksman in the much-anticipated sequel/reboot.
The news of Elba’s involvement came fast and unexpected after last week’s shocking announcement of Smith departure. THR says Elba was the first and only choice for Gunn. The pair met on Friday and the meeting held between the two went well.
The report also states Warner Bros has shown a great deal of excitement with Gunn’s script. That’s why the studio is ferociously moving forward. Gunn is said to be using characters that did not appear in David Ayer’s Suicide Squad, although some of the key players are expected to return including Harley Quinn and Amanda Waller.
There are conflicting reports on whether Rick Flagg will return. With one source saying he’s in and another saying he’s no longer in the follow-up, Joel Kinnaman played the role in the original film.
Stay tuned as more news develops.
The Suicide Squad is scheduled for release on August 6, 2021
- Exclusive: First Look At D.J Cotrona as Superman in ‘Justice League Mortal’
- Steppenwolf Actor Ciarán Hinds Not Happy With ‘Justice League’ Theatrical Cut
- Exclusive: ’13 Reasons Why’ Star Ross Butler Joins The Cast Of ‘Shazam!’
- Over 150 HD Screencaps From The New ‘Captain Sparkle Fingers’ Sorry, ‘Shazam’ Trailer
- Listen To The Epic Music From The Final ‘Aquaman’ Trailer