Joaquin Phoenix, best known for playing Johnny Cash in Walk the Line is in talks to play The Joker in Warner Bros. untitled Joker origins movie, Variety reports.
Phoenix has been linked to numerous amounts of comic book film roles over the last ten years, most notably Lex Luthor in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Todd Phillips (The Hangover) is on-board to write and direct the film, which will be under a new banner of DC Comic films, which has yet to be named.
It’s said Phillips met with Phoenix late last year and was only waiting on the go-ahead from Warner Bros.
The studio is looking to expand their comic book properties outside of their DC Extended Universe with unique stories based on DC Comics iconic characters.
The untitled Clown Prince of Gotham film is said to be set in the 80’s and will be more of a gritty crime drama, focusing how he became a mastermind criminal, rather than just a comic book movie.
Jared Leto, who played The Joker in Suicide Squad will return as the character, most likely in Suicide Squad 2. It is rumoured that Leto isn’t happy about this announcement.
Scott Silver (The Fighter) will co-write with Phillips on the film.
What do you all think of the latest announcement?
- ‘Exclusive’: What Surrounded Diana In The Shrine Of The Amazons *UPDATED*
- Exclusive: First Look At D.J Cotrona as Superman in ‘Justice League Mortal’
- Zack Snyder Reveals The Conclusion To His 5-Part ‘Justice League’ Saga
- Exclusive: ’13 Reasons Why’ Star Ross Butler Joins The Cast Of ‘Shazam!’
- Zack Snyder Creates ‘Justice League’ T-Shirt For AFSP